Archive for January, 2017
Well the wing root is coming along nicely. I’m still using the lite-ply template pieces for the wing spars, as there’s continued fine-tuning as i get the next wing former added. I now have out to wing former 5 (W5) fitted on the right side of the spar and the first 3 (W1,2,3) fitted on the left. A test fit of former 6 (W6) on the right side and there’s a small amount of adjustment to do and that should be it. Then just need to replicate to the left side and fit the formers and we should be done. Next up is to check the fitting into the fuselage and then take it all apart and cut the real parts using 1/8″ ply. Hoping to get that all finished this week.
Cut out some templates using lite-ply of the wing root spars (WSP1,2,3 on plan) and test fit the first wing formers to them. There’s some work to do on them as i start adding the the next 3-4 wing spars, but first fit they are pretty close. A little bit of fettling to get them to mate up to the fuselage and then once i’m happy i can cut the production pieces in 1/8″ ply. While on the subject of wings i also started to build up the left hand wing structure, have about half of the formers cut and in place ready to be glued onto the spars. I’ve a few more to template and cut to get to the same point as the right hand wing. As well as the wing root formers which are all in 1/8″ ply. These are taking a little while to complete as i’m having to cut the slots with the trusty chisel.
In between the wing work i’ve been researching building a small vac-forming set-up. As i’m going to have to build the nosecone, belly turret and top turret. It seems that some vac-formed pieces would be the way to go. Also spent some time researching how to build a home CNC/Laser cutting setup as well. I feel this will give me far more accurate pieces than using the skill saw. Theres some great designs i found on Openbuilds website. it doesn’t look to difficult to build.
Well, hoping to progress with the wing root templates this week. thers a lot of other jobs that can then be completed once this is done and t ewings are attached.
Another New Year, and not being a resolutions kind of person i sort of relented and resolved to complete the B17 this year!
So it was back down the local model store for some supplies, with the plan of progressing the build of the central wing joiner and to start on the other wing construction. I also purchased some sheet stock so that i can start covering the rudder and the fuselage areas near the stabilizers so that these can be attached with more permanence. This should mean i should have some update photos to post up over this weekend…